Answer the following problems showing your work and explaining (or analyzing) your results. Submit your work in a typed Microsoft Word document.
- Describe the measures of central tendency. Under what condition(s) should each one be used?
- Last year, 12 employees from a computer company retired. Their ages at retirement are listed below. First, create a stem plot for the data. Next, find the mean retirement age. Round to the nearest year.
55 77 64 77 69 63 62 64 85 64 56 59
- A retail store manager kept track of the number of car magazines sold each week over a 10-week period. The results are shown below.
27 30 21 62 28 18 23 22 26 28
- Find the mean, median, and mode of newspapers sold over the 10-week period.
- Which measure(s) of central tendency best represent the data?
- Name any outliers.
- Joe wants to pass his statistics class with at least a 75%. His prior four test scores are 74%, 68%, 84% and 79%. What is the minimum score he needs on the final exam to pass the class with a 75% average?
- Nancy participated in a summer reading program. The number of books read by the 23 participants are as follows:
10 9 6 2 5 3 9 1 6 3 10 4 7 6 3 5 6 2 6 5 3 7 2
Number of books read Frequency
- Complete the frequency table.
- Find the mean of the raw data.
- Find the median of the raw data.
- The chart below represents the number of inches of snow for a seven-day period.
Sunday MondayTuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday
2 5 3 10 0 4 2
- Find the mean, median, and mode.
- Which is the best measure of central tendency?
- Remove Wednesday from the calculations. How does that impact the three measures of central tendency?
- Describe the effect outliers have on the measures of central tendency.
- A dealership sold 15 cars last month. The purchase price of the cars, rounded to the nearest thousand, is represented in the table.
Purchase price Number of cars sold
- Find the mean and median of the data.
- Which measure best represents the data? Use the results to support your answer.
- What is the outlier and how does it affect the data?
8. What do the letters represent on the box plot?
9. The test scores from a math final exam are as follows:
64 85 93 55 87 90 73 81 86 79
- Create a box plot using the data.
- Label the five points on the box plot and include numerical answers from part “a.”
10. Using the data and results from Question 9, answer the following questions.
- What is the median?
- What is the range?
- What is the interquartile range?
- In a short paragraph, describe the data in the box plot.
The mean salary is often used to describe the salaries of employees of a company. However, the median salary may be a better measure of the salaries in comparison to the mean. Research a career you are interested in and calculate the mean and median salaries using at least ten data points. Include the calculations and the data source(s). Which is the better measure of central tendency? Why? Review and respond to the comments posted by your peers and offer your insight on this topic. Do you agree or disagree with their selection? Why or why not?